For twenty-five years A-HOME
has been providing safe, affordable rental housing in northern Westchester County by purchasing, developing and managing properties for its current programs. The programs include independent supportive living for low-income older adults and disabled individuals and apartments for single parent families.
A-HOME currently owns 13 properties with 17 houses:
- 9 for older adults
- 3 for disabled individuals
- 2 for single parent families
- 2 intergenerational for older adult and families
- 1 house with seven apartments for income eligible individuals.
The properties are located in Bedford Hills, Chappaqua, Croton Falls, Katonah, Mt. Kisco, Pound Ridge and South Salem.
SSPC is a member of a coalition of 26 civic and religious organizations supporting A-Home’s mission with funding and volunteers. Financial contributions from coalition members help to offset cuts in government funding, particularly the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and the Community Development Block Grant.
Volunteer activities include:
- Adopting a room to paint and decorate for a resident
- Spring and fall yard clean-ups and planting
- Driving residents to medial appointments
- Holiday activities including donations of food and gifts
In fall 2009, SSPC congregation members raked leaves and planted bulbs at the A-HOME house in South Salem.
For Christmas 2009, the SSPC Sunday School children made home-made angels and SSPC purchased gift cards and small gifts for the eight residents of the South Salem house. A case manager from the South Salem house sent a note to SSPC which included the following statement:
“On behalf of the residents, thank you for all your hard work in obtaining all the beautiful gifts. For many of the residents it will be the only gifts they receive.”